Monday, May 27, 2013

The Successes Continue!

Adding new piano students to my list is an ongoing process.  One of the latest groups to join the lesson circle are some young ladies in the Bacarra Ward.  I began teaching them in March.  It is hard to believe that FIVE of them are now playing in sacrament meeting! They rotate assignments so they have plenty of time to prepare their hymns. 

They knew there was a potential problem rising on the horizon when their only pianist applied to go on a mission. Carla invited me to teach lessons and then recruited the students.  About eight of them showed up for their first lesson.  They have all been very consistant in coming to lessons.  Not only do they come to lessons regularly, but they practice faithfully! Since April, May, and part of June are their summer vacation months, some of them have missed classes from time to time.  When they have, they have all requested I give them plenty of assignments to practice while they are gone.  And they really do practice while on vacation! Very impressive!

Carla's first was "While of These Emblems".
Kristine's debut performance was "I Need Thee Every Hour"

Marichu played "Redeemer of Israel" her first time

 
I have been teaching Michelle Formantes probably since September of last year. She has played well enough to play for sacrament meeting for quite a while, but has lacked confidence.  I kept trying to convince her she needed to step up since their pianist was leaving on her mission, but Michelle would about faint whenever I brought up the subject.  Now that she has observed so many of her friends coming forth and playing, she has wanted to join the ranks.  Last Sunday she finally got up the courage to play!  Good for her!  She has practiced "Now Let Us Rejoice" so much she has it memorized. 


Michelle had "Now Let Us Rejoice" memorized for her first sacrament meeting performance.


Laika was on vacation when I had this photo shoot. I will add her picture to the gallery when she returns.
 
The balance of the Bacarra students are younger and not quite ready to perform in public.  But they are dedicated students with a strong desire to achieve.
 
As a graduation present, I have been giving my students their own copy of the Simplified Hymns. This hymnal is a step up from the Easy Hymn book, which they can play from by the time they graduate from the keyboard course.  Noreen, my very first piano graduate is now playing in Church meetings from this hymnal.
 
 
 
 
Noreen was awarded a Harman Grant keyboard for completing the Keyboard Course


And then there's John Paul.  Oh my goodness! He is one gutsy young man! He started playing in sacrament meeting almost from the start. I was half joking when I suggested to the bishop that he play when Noreen couldn't..... But John Paul took me seriously and did it!  I didn't know he is only twelve years old until about a month ago.  What a determined, bright, and cheerful young man. John Paul is another qualified recipient of a Harman keyboard.
 

Handsome, talented John Paul. I think he played "Come Follow Me" for his first.
 
Cyrus, Karen, and Andrea are some of my newest students in Vintar.  Cyrus is another Mr. Personality as well as Mr. Piano Teacher.  When I am giving Karen and Andrea their lessons, Cyrus is right there to add his two cents' worth....and he is usually correct!
 
 
 Cyrus keeps reminding Elder that he has promised to bring chocolate cookies to piano lessons.  How can Elder keep forgetting?
 
Teaching piano lessons to these grateful members is so rewarding.  But it is even more rewarding to see so many students now playing in sacrament meeting. Members have often told me how they have longed for a senior couple to come to the Philippines who would teach piano lessons again.  It has been at least ten years since a senior sister has taught lessons.  If we could only travel farther away from Laoag to give lessons.  
 
Last Sunday we attended a small branch in Sinait... about a one- and-a-half-hour trip from Laoag.  As we entered the meetinghouse late, we could hear the opening hymn being played.  We then noticed the hymn was being played by a very courageous gentleman....using just one finger.  We had just barely sat down when it was announced from the pulpit that Sister Eddington would be the pianist for the remainder of the meeting.  It felt good to serve, but at the same time sad that we live too far from Sinait to give piano lessons there.  
 
 
 
   

3 comments:

  1. What great pictures of your piano students! And what a difference you are making in that mission by giving piano lessons. I love it.

    When you get home, will you give piano lessons to two [nameless] grandkids? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, piano lessons for everyone... free cookies, too. But they have to promise they will be playing in sacrament meeting three months after they start lessons! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My piano teacher keeps threatening to have me play in primary. HA! Fat chance of that! I know the fear all too well. Luckily, we have plenty of accomplished piano players here, so hopefully I'm off the hook.

    ReplyDelete