Little Iris is the darling girl I told how she would show me her coloring page with great expectations of praise. Here she is:
After leaving St. Lucia, we headed south to attend a small branch in Tagudin.
| Home converted to meetinghouse |
| Relief Society sisters |
| They insisted I be in the picture. |
After Church was over, no one left the meetinghouse. Everyone stayed for Elder's meeting. It was supposed to be a meeting just for the leaders of the Branch. I guess with such few members, everyone is a leader!
While Elder was organizing his member record meeting, I headed upstairs with my Book of Mormon story booklets to see if I could entertain the troops. There were a few Primary kids sitting on the stairs. When they saw me headed up, they scampered back up the stairs as if I were the principal of the school and they were the students caught sluffing. They slid into their designated chairs and waited....for what, I have no idea. There was a Primary teacher in the room. I kept asking her if I was interrupting something, but all got was the impression that I was in charge. So I took over. I was very impressed! They knew the story of Ammon chopping off the arms of the enemy very well.
The classroom was literally wall-to-wall Primary children. Talk about forced reverence! They had no room to misbehave.
As I took more pictures, they started showing me their colored "Ammon and the Bad Guys" booklets.
When Elder's meeting was over I headed back downstairs. I met a family who have five or six children. I can't remember which. Two are returned missionaries, one is on a mission, and the sixteen-year-old in the picture is seriously working towards his mission. I couldn't resist taking their picture. What a strong, faithful family.
And again, they insisted I be in the picture, too.
Last Sunday we visited a branch in Vigan. I was only able to give away two of my booklets to two young ladies. However I was introduced to a Counselor in the Vigan District Primary Presidency. She was very excited to accept my offer to supply her Primary teachers with all my Book of Mormon booklets, crayons, flannel stories, and flannel boards. The Primary Counselor had never heard of a flannel board, so I demonstrated. She was very intrigued.... she kept calling it "Magic".
I have "checked out" the libraries in quite a few meetinghouses. In any one meetinghouse, all I could ever find that half-way resembled a library, was a cardboard box filled with tattered hand-made posters. That's all! So I believe it when I am told that the Primary organizations have very limited budgets for supplies. It feels good to help, even though it is in a very small way.
I love hearing what you're up to and seeing you two in action through pictures.
ReplyDeleteThis post is making me want to send you a caseload of "Gospel Art Picture Kits." Seriously, do you want us to take a collection and send some? Can you get crayons and etc. easily (and cheaply), or do you want some of those, too?
Funny you should mention Gospel Arts Books. I ordered 10 of them from Manila. They are dirt cheap! Like $1.00 each. We can get crayons for about 25 cents a box, so we're good. Thanks for the offer. Love you!
ReplyDeleteA box of over 700 clipped Ensign pictures is on its way. But, Gospel Art Books sound SO much better. But, I guess the little kids can have something, too.
ReplyDeleteYes! Definitely! There is a reverence problem here that your reverence booklets will help solve. The children are bored during sacrament meeting. The lucky children who received one of your booklets spent the whole meeting absorbing it! You had a great idea! Thank you. Love you!
ReplyDeleteMom