Below are pictures of some of the young adults trying to figure out a personality worksheet we gave them.
Your dad's closing remarks. (I had already given mine.)
The Demars then gave a presentation on celestial marriage while the AP's gave a workshop on missionary work to another group. Break time meant picture time:
| Maganda Rosecelle (one of my piano students) and her gawapo fiance |
| Maganda Michelle (another piano student) |
| Elder Ma'u (from Tonga), Brother and Sister Pascual, and Elder Tucker.
Finally, someone is taller than your dad.
|
The elders want your dad and me to teach the Pascuals a lesson on celestial marriage and temple work. We are looking forward to that. The stake is planning a temple trip to Manila in May. The whole Pascual family has a goal of going then and doing baptisms for their ancestors. The youngest Pascual boy will be turning twelve in March. Perfect!
Saturday was a great day. Then Sunday rolled around. Since it was fast Sunday and since your dad and I have already been asked to speak in sacrament meeting next Sunday, my guard was down, not watching for suspicious people approaching me, asking me to do last-minute activities. I was innocently standing in the hall waiting for the other ward to leave the relief society room so our relief society could enter. I wasn't aware of the relief society counselor approaching. By the time I noticed her, she was saying, "Sister, could you do me a favor?" Busted! "Our teacher won't be able to be here. Would you give our lesson today?" I stammered and stuttered something like, "Is there a manual? What's the lesson about today?" I was in total panic/faint/sick-to-my-stomach mode. While the counselor wandered off looking for a Liahona, I went crawling to your dad to tell him of my predicament....as if that would help any. Then I started praying like a mad lady.
Opening exercises over, Liahona in hand, I somehow found myself in front of the class. It was all so surreal. The sisters looked at me, I looked at them, and then I dove in. Relief Society lessons and class discussions are always in Tagalog or Ilocano. But I thought that maybe since I am an English-only person, the sisters would be able to respond to questions in English. I asked for a lot of class participation since I wasn't prepared. Wrong! The sisters could understand my English, but they were not at all comfortable speaking it. So it was pretty much a one-woman show for forty-five loooooong minutes. Actually it wasn't a one-woman show. The Spirit prompted me the whole time as to what to say. Remembrances and stories came to mind. The Spirit even reminded me that I had bookmarks in my bag with a message that tied in with the lesson. Wahoo! Bookmark handouts! And there were enough bookmarks for all of the sisters except one to have one. I was, and am, one grateful and thankful person for having had the help of the Spirit.
As members of the Church we are blessed to have the Gospel in our lives. As members, we are also so richly blessed to have the Holy Ghost as our constant companion. Elder Eddington and I are so blessed to be on a mission in the Philippines. We feel very honored to be as needed and as used as we are.
Love, Elder and Sister Eddington
Opening exercises over, Liahona in hand, I somehow found myself in front of the class. It was all so surreal. The sisters looked at me, I looked at them, and then I dove in. Relief Society lessons and class discussions are always in Tagalog or Ilocano. But I thought that maybe since I am an English-only person, the sisters would be able to respond to questions in English. I asked for a lot of class participation since I wasn't prepared. Wrong! The sisters could understand my English, but they were not at all comfortable speaking it. So it was pretty much a one-woman show for forty-five loooooong minutes. Actually it wasn't a one-woman show. The Spirit prompted me the whole time as to what to say. Remembrances and stories came to mind. The Spirit even reminded me that I had bookmarks in my bag with a message that tied in with the lesson. Wahoo! Bookmark handouts! And there were enough bookmarks for all of the sisters except one to have one. I was, and am, one grateful and thankful person for having had the help of the Spirit.
As members of the Church we are blessed to have the Gospel in our lives. As members, we are also so richly blessed to have the Holy Ghost as our constant companion. Elder Eddington and I are so blessed to be on a mission in the Philippines. We feel very honored to be as needed and as used as we are.
Love, Elder and Sister Eddington
Oh. My. And I thought being thrown a Primary lesson in my lap during Sacrament Meeting was bad. I'm sure you and the Spirit did a great job with that RS lesson. Oh, and a personality development workshop sounds very interesting. Did you guys have to use any Tagalog, or was it all English?
ReplyDeleteOur workshop was all in English. The younger generation is very good at understanding and speaking English. It is the older generation....the RS sisters I taught, who can't speak English. I wish I had a younger brain that could learn Tagalog and Ilocano.
DeleteLove Mom
Well, at least you can use English. I would be relying on the "Gift of Tongues" if I had to teach in any other language.
DeleteWOW! What a great weekend! I love reading these wonderful experiences you are having.
ReplyDeleteA bowl with carabao heads for feet? Oh, you just can't make that stuff up. But it's still much classier than the poker-playing carabao (which ain't sayin' much). I'm sure this bowl will look very nice next to the poker players in their comfy cardboard box down in the dark, dark storage room.
You two truly are very needed in the Philippines. What a testimony builder.
You're MEAN! At least my African animals are still alive and well. Thanks for putting them in the basement and not the D.I. box. 'Preciate cha! What about the red table runner? Do you like it? Plenty more where they came from. I also bought some loom-woven pineapple placemats. Really cute! Any takers?
DeleteLove, Mom
Whoa, what are you doing awake, Mom? It's 2 AM for you. Is Dad snoring again?
ReplyDeleteYou say "mean," I say "tasteful." Someone had to do the deed and banish those weirdo poker players. But I do like the red table runner!
Oh wait... I know why you're up. You're trying to overlap US business hours so you can talk to the Family History consultant, right? He called here an hour ago asking to talk to you when you were disconnected on chat. I explained to him that he'd been talking to you in the Philippines.
Delete