Tuesday, November 13, 2012

What A Fun Monday Morning

Sister Catubay, the bishop's wife in Laoag Ward Two, asked me if I would come to their school to be their visiting storyteller on Monday morning. I hadn't known until then that she taught second grade at the Santa Maria Elementary School.

Entrance gate to Santa Maria Elementary School
 
We arrived a little early while the school was still gathered together for morning announcements.  School must have started at 7:45am. Sister Catubay, or rather, Mrs. Catubay was telling them stuff in Tagalog or Ilacano, who knows which. They were all sitting with their own classes in straight rows.  Everyone was paying attention to Mrs. Catubay.... no side chatter anywhere.
 
 
 
The school is arranged like a fort.   Each classroom door is an outside door facing into the courtyard.  The middle courtyard is for student gatherings. When we left around 10am, there were tables set up under the roof being used for snack time.
 
There's always a late comer in every crowd.
 
No worries about mixing church and state. Notice the statue of Mary in the curved grotto in the left of the picture below. 
 
The teachers wear uniforms as well as the students. What a nice bunch of teachers.... so friendly and helpful.

 
 
The first classroom I entered, the students were still bustling around cleaning.  No shirkers there!  They were pushing coconut shells around with their feet to clean the floors as well as sweeping and dusting.  The windows open right onto a street.  I'm sure it is hard to keep the road dust out of their classroom.
 
 
 I rotated through the fourth, fifth, and sixth grade classes, telling the story of "The Princess And The Pea".  Every time I entered another classroom, the students would all stand up and recite in unison, something like: "Good morning Sister Eddington.  Welcome to our school. We are glad you are here."
 
 
The whole experience was very delightful.  The students were very attentive and polite.  It made me really miss my teaching days. 
 
As I would leave each classroom I would compliment the students on their wonderful behavior and have them pat themselves on their backs for being so good.  They had no idea what "patting themselves on the back" meant, but they soon caught on. Then they would all stand and in unison say something like: "Thank you for coming, Sister Eddington.  We enjoyed your visit. Have a good day and mabuhay!"  So adorable!
 
 
 After I had finished my rotations, I was invited into the principal's office for refreshments.  Such graciousness! 
 
Like I said, it was snack time when Elder Eddington and I left the school, so all the students were gathered in the courtyard.  When they saw us leaving, they swarmed around us and shook our hands.  Some even put the back of our hands to their foreheads and gave a little bow.  By doing that, it was showing respect for us. A lot of them were demonstrating to me they remembered their new-found trick by patting themselves on their backs.
 
What a wonderful morning.....and what an ego boost....to be treated like a celebrity.  I am looking forward to returning next week to be the storyteller for the younger grades.  What beautiful children. (Almost as beautiful as our grandchildren.)
 
Love as Usual,
Mom and Dad






11 comments:

  1. I love this! What beautiful things you are doing in the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grandkids might be as beautiful as those students, but nowhere near as respectful. Wow! We've got to shape these kids up before you come home. Or will you? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will teach them to put our hands to their foreheads....or else!

      Love, Mom

      Delete
  3. We're too spoiled here in the U.S. We need to come see how the rest of the world lives so we'll appreciate and respect what we have. What a great experience. Had they heard "The Princess and the Pea" before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked each class if they had heard the story. Only one or two hands ever went up. They still have not heard the real story. You know how I am with exaggerating, changing, and embellishing!

      Love, Mom

      Delete
    2. We must have a lot of fairy tales that they haven't heard, then. You have a fresh audience.

      Delete
    3. Just don't read them the story with the "yucky". Is that what you all called it? It was before my time.

      Delete
  4. I met the couple who lived in your apartment before you. They live here in Rochester. They really miss their mission. I wouldn't be surprised if they are soon off on another one. They were happy to hear you were enjoying your mission. Small world in the church.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell the Hilemans they are welcome to come back..... we have an extra bedroom. They are really missed here. Everyone seems to know them and love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sister Justiniano (lady in my ward from the Philippines that you met) talked to us about Christmas in the Philippines. She mentioned that only the very rich can afford a Christmas tree and that the rest of them are very resourceful in making their own "trees". She would make a tree out of string and that some make artificial snow for their trees out of soap. She also talked about how the young respect the elders with a hand to the forehead. She said they used to kiss the back of the hand until Western influence decided it wasn't hygienic. She also mentioned that the Christmas season starts in September and that the Jeepneys play Christmas music so loud you can't talk to the driver. It was fun to hear her mention some of the things you've also experienced. The holidays will surely be different for you as well as us.

    ReplyDelete