Tuesday, June 26, 2012

We're Finally In The Philippines

After a grueling 15 hours from LAX to Hong Kong, we are waiting for our Manila flight. The date of each new post is finally in sync with our posts. It is actually Wednesday morning here in beautiful downtown Hong Kong. There were 24 fresh missionaries on our flight with us. Some sisters, too. to be continued ...we need to board
Layover in Hong Kong airport
An update since Hong Kong: We arrived in Manila at about 11:00am, with no problem.
With missionaries at Manila airport--waiting for shuttle

More missionaries----more waiting
Our hotel reminded me of a scene from "Casa Blanca", except no ceiling fans.  They would have helped, though.  The "air con" (as they call it here) in the lobby was broken.  Sweat was pouring down my face and onto the lovely vinyl couch.  We napped in our room and then walked to the airport to see if we could find any info on our flight to Laoag tomorrow. No luck. We don't have anything official as to which airline or what time our flight leaves.  Luckily your dad happened to look over our "cruise director's" shoulder while at the airport and has an unofficial airline name and departure time.
Our little walk to the airport was interesting.  I'm glad I took the advise of a Filipino sister in the MTC who told me not to bring any higher-heeled shoes.  The sidewalks are in bad repair.  It was very fun to be immersed in a different culture.  Your dad worries, though, I want to go back with food for all the sad, little orphaned cats we saw along the way.  They are on death's door, all thin and emaciated, hardly able walk.

Knowing & doing are 2 different things.  We have been cautioned ever since we got our call to the Philippines to only drink liquids that are bottled or canned.  OK, I’m doomed! Strike one: we went to KFC for dinner here in Manila. I slurped down a delicious mango Krusher (equivalent of a chunky Smoothie).  Fresh mangos. Yum! But who knows where the water came from that was in the drink?  Strike two: I brushed my teeth and rinsed with faucet water before the warning bells went off in my head.  Like I said, I’m doomed.  My next post will probably be titled: “My Week In Bed And In The CR.”

Love, Mom


10 comments:

  1. I am glad that have made it there safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kept thinking throughout the day, "Now they are in LA, now they should be in Manilla." Can't wait to see the next post with you safely in Laoag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We miss you already! Family reunion was not the same without you. Please post pictures when you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are all assuming too much. See my next blog, please.

      Love, Mom

      Delete
  4. What are we assuming - that you'll stay? Ha. Yes, I think you're doomed, but in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, with all the sickly cats around, are you going to add popsicles to your diet? 'Cause after all, popsicle sticks can cure just about any cat ailment. Right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very funny, Steph. I'll save the middle man (who knows if the Popsicles are made with safe water) and feed the Popsicles to the cats!

      Love, Mom

      Delete
  6. So glad to hear you are at least in the correct country safely! We've been praying and thinking about you a lot! Let the adventures begin!

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds just like Ukraine! :) Karissa and I brushed our teeth with bottled water for almost 2 months. LOL I was really good about not drinking anything but bottled water until I was offered some tea (herbal) at our friend, Jan's house. I went ahead and drank it and then they wanted to serve us some borscht. I did and mid-bowl I realized this was NOT made with bottled water. I remember saying a little prayer that I'd be protected like a missionary. LOL I didn't have any problems, luckily! The cute mission president's wife that was looking after us would have been worried, I'm sure though. She'd had lots of really sick missionaries in her time.

    Oh, and the high heeled shoes cracked me up! Ukraine has the worst sidewalks/roads I've EVER seen and yet the women are so concerned with fashion that they wear ridiculously high heels. I'm amazed that I never saw any of them fall down. I wore my flat boots and tennis shoes. I've never been one to follow the latest fashion though.

    Love the pictures, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. International travel seems to suit Dad. He looks so contented in the Hong Kong Airport. Too bad you didn't have time to look around. Maybe on your way back? Dad has always wanted to see the world.

    ReplyDelete