Our apartment complex received new bedroom furniture as well as new bookcase units for the front rooms while we were in Utah. All the apartments received the same furniture. Supposedly, this will stop the midnight furniture raids of empty apartments that are so prevalent around here. We'll see.
While in Utah, Brother Payne, the new apartment manager, called to update us on the status of our apartment. He informed us that our bedroom furniture was in place, but no one was going to put the bedding on our bed. "That's ok," I told him. "You would probably short sheet the bed if you made it. So, we're good." He also let us know that part of our bookcase units were on back order, so the units we did have were still in boxes, stacked in the front room.
After a delayed flight from Denver to DC, (what else is new?) we staggered into our apartment around 11:30 pm, bracing ourselves for the worst. We didn't expect what we found. Yes, the boxes were stacked in the front room as expected, but everything else wasn't as we had imagined.
| FYI: fake fruit was added to the basket before the scene could be recreated. Too many fruit lovers live here. |
Breakfast items filled our empty fridge: milk, eggs, bacon, and bread.
Encouraged, we made our way to the bedroom. The bedroom furniture was all in place. Our second surprise was that the bed was totally made, including decorative pillows, bed skirt, and bed covering. And no "short sheeting!" Existing furniture that had to be moved to accommodate the new furniture delivery was back in place. We were touched. We have awesome neighbors!
So here is a before-and-after tour of our updated apartment.
Before: September 2015
We purchased the nightstand on the right from Goodwill. It blended beautifully with the period furniture, don't you think? And not one piece of furniture matched another.....I'm not exaggerating!
After: September 2016
I did what I pledged I'd never do: I raided an empty apartment for the two lamps. It is really ok, though, since the apartment is earmarked for different district workers who come and go each week. Besides, I got permission from Brother Payne. So there!
| We've been downsized to a queen bed, but it's ok. |
| This "lovely" chest used to be where the "after" chest is now located. Its new home is in our closet. |
| Brother Payne rehung the picture. Otherwise who could have seen it behind the chest of drawers? |
Before: September 2015
After: September 2016
Before: September 2015
After: September 2016
Cute end table on the left, courtesy of the empty district workers' apartment. Brother Payne volunteered the up-to-date lamps that are kept in some secret "lamp storage room".
| I know, I know, the pictures don't fill the space, but that's all we got, man! |
Before: September 2015
After: September 2016
There is a recliner on the right, not pictured, but it is one of the same ones pictured above.
| This sweet chair is actually a recliner. Also taken from the empty apartment. Quit judging! |
After: September 2016
Any suggestions for a new name for the furniture company?
| Great improvement, right? Actually, it is an improvement. Your dad rearranged the boxes to not take up as much space. |
Before: September 2015
After this picture was taken, we moved the bookcase around the corner to the left.
After: September 2016
But look what's there now! I think this is one of my favorite changes. The chest is really supposed to be the night stand in the spare bedroom.
| Fall decor compliments of the Relief Society Loan Closet. |
Speaking of the spare bedroom....don't look!
I told you not to look!
I will post an update when the bookcase units are installed. They look really nice in the other apartments we have seen. We can't wait. Well, maybe I can't wait. Your dad isn't as excited with the updates as I am. He was very content with the old stuff. He rolls his eyes whenever I come bursting through the door with new finds.
So there you have it. Our new and improved 2016 apartment. I just sit and admire the new look. We may never leave our home-away-from-home ever again. NOT!
I'm so glad that I've been in your apartment and have some context for all these pictures. I can completely visualize the new changes. But I'm with Dad... the old apartment had a homey sweetness to it with its outdated furniture. And I liked your tall bookcase just off the kitchen. (Maybe that's because the family pictures were on there, and they seem to be gone now. HEY!)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that you're enjoying your new space. It looks great!
Wow - that update was a long time in coming. I just assumed that they kept you in the old stuff to keep you humble. :) Don't let it get to your head and get all worldly on us, now. :)
ReplyDeleteLaurel, The family pictures, etc., will go on the new book shelves. I have no other place to put them right now. But I'm very anxious to pull them all out. One week until the back order comes! (Hopefully)
ReplyDeleteLove, Mom
Steph, Too late. I'm already worldly! You should know that by now! But I didn't really mind the old stuff, either. It's amazing how one can get used to anything....especially when everyone was in the same boat. And I had bonded with my little mismatched stuff. I really hated to see it go.
ReplyDeleteLove, Mom