Day One: Friday, April 1, 2016 - Washington D.C.
The Brocks arrived early Friday morning with lots of hugging. As I escorted McKenna from their van to our apartment building, I had her convinced we lived in the apartment building across the street, living on the twelfth floor. Then I announced, "April Fool's" and escorted her to our basement laundry area where I showed her where she was to sleep. Another "April Fool's".
After breakfast and short naps for the weary, bleary-eyed travelers, we were off to see DC.
| Stopping to enjoy the flowers on the way to the Library of Congress |
Or not....
Natalie: "Move it, move it! Too much to see---too little time!"
Actually, I lied! Nat didn't really say that.
| "Grandma, we came all this way, just to have a tree as our backdrop? What about some DC landmarks?" |
| Library of Congress |
As we were waiting in the security-check line before entering the Library, Natalie commented how spoiled we are as members of the Church to have such beautiful temples that no "worldly buildings" can compete with. My comment: "Just wait until we get inside, Natalie dear."
| The whole ceiling is one giant mosaic |
| Proof that angels have wings |
Next stop: Air & Space Museum
| Land version of the Lunar Module |
| Very perky for having only one hour of sleep on the red-eye flight, don't you think? |
| First docking of Russian and U.S. space capsules |
One of the reasons the Brocks came to DC: to get smashed-penny souvenirs. This stop: Air & Space Museum pennies.
I am saddened I don't have a picture of Ryan cranking away. I guess I didn't think of pictures until after he smashed his penny. Boo!
Each of the kids has a pocket folder especially made for the purpose of keeping these penny treasures. They've collected quite a few.
| On the trek to the Museum of American History. |
There were two LOOOOONG security-check lines outside the Museum of American History. The shorter of the two was the "no-bag line". Your dad & I immediately volunteered to wait outside with the Brocks' bags so they could get in the shorter no-bag line. The following pictures show how bored I was while waiting.
But they did return!
Proof that your dad & I have actually been inside the American History Museum. (Taken on a previous trip.)
Moving on to the White House. Look closely, Michelle is looking out one of the windows. April Fool's!
| How very cute! |
Is Dave putting away his fake wallet or his real one? Dave's plan: If he ever gets mugged, he has a fake wallet he will give the mugger which is full of cancelled credit cards, a fake address, and a few dollars. His real wallet will remain safely tucked away in a secret pocket. Good plan, Dave! (I hope no mugger is reading this.)
Check out Ryan.
From this:
And very shortly after, to this:
He was such a trooper! Everyone kept offering to carry him, knowing how tired he was, but he refused assistance. Until he conked out, that is. So he missed this:
And this:
And this:
Get your magnifying glass out. Your dad & Ryan are situated at the end of the row of bushes on the right.
On the Circulator bus back to the Metro Station, Taylor took his turn at checking out.
But Ryan continued to sleep through the Metro train ride back to Kensington.
Back at the apartment, we celebrated Dave's birthday with cake, ice cream, and a visit from Eric Cragun. Rats! Where's the picture? Probably because it was MY turn to fall asleep on the couch during Eric's visit. How rude!
Coming soon: Day Two: April 2, 2016 - Mount Vernon
Okay - so that is ONE busy day. I don't blame Ryan for conking out. If he's anything like me, he was probably faking it just to get carried around and to NOT have to go into one more museum. :) Can't wait to see Day 2.
ReplyDeleteThat looks like so much fun! YAY! I was hoping you'd post pictures!
ReplyDeleteAre you all used up now? What will we see when we come to visit?