Let's start with Santa and ornaments courtesy of the Freebie Closet located in the basement. The green table runner is courtesy of Dollar Tree. The glass vase holding the ornaments is courtesy of Goodwill.
Next we have a lovely prelit and predecorated tree, courtesy of the Freebie Closet. The tree is stuffed in an ugly earthenware pot, which I don't like. So I added the tree skirt, which is really two garish black and burgundy bed shams we inherited with the apartment. I tucked the black borders out of sight. I think it looks quite classy, if I do say so myself. I know, my taste has been tainted by our not-so-tasteful surroundings. But your dad was so ecstatic that he didn't have a tree to contend with this year. And it beats the driftwood umbrella stand we converted into a Christmas tree while in the Philippines.
Moving right along. The sleigh was a great find in Goodwill. I shopped early in October to get the best selection. The poinsettias are from the basement Freebie Closet. The pine bough pieces are cut from a garland purchased at Dollar Tree. Another table runner purchased at Dollar Tree. I bought the last three runners. I really only needed two, but my Philippine shopping background got the best of me: "Buy everything you can before it's sold out!" I gave the third runner to my neighbor.
The only decorator piece that isn't second hand: a poinsettia Gary surprised me with. How sweet of him. The vase is from Goodwill and the ornaments are from the Freebie Closet.
Never mind. This nativity set was not a second-hand purchase. But it was on sale at Target. I had to bring a nativity set from home....otherwise it wouldn't be Christmas.
I think this next arrangement is my all-time favorite. To begin with, I am a sucker for nutcrackers. Secondly, I am a sucker for a bargain. The first part of November I noticed all these darling nutcrackers at Dollar Tree. I started buying them by the armfuls: some for visiting teaching gifts and some for neighborhood gifts. Every time I would go back to Dollar Tree I would buy more, especially when different styles would show up.
Last Saturday night, Gary and I had returned late from the temple. We were sitting at the table eating dinner. The corner (in the below picture) looked so drab and unChristmasy. It was then that I caught the vision of what I wanted in the corner. "Gary! Grab your coat! We have to go to Dollar Tree and buy more nutcrackers!" His frustrated response: "But it's 8:30 in the evening! No way!" My comeback: "But if we don't go NOW, all the nutcrackers will be gone by Monday. It's Black Friday weekend, you know." As you can see from the following photo, I got my way. Absolutely adorable! And I was right...the next week all the nutcrackers were gone. All that was left was one lone nutcracker sans his nose.
Door wreath, ribbon, and bow courtesy of the Relief Society Seasonal Closet located in the basement. As you have probably figured out by now, nutcracker from Dollar Tree.
I made the following wreath for my next-door neighbor for her birthday. When she saw that it didn't have a nutcracker, she insisted I added one. I would have put one on to begin with, but didn't want our doors to be twins...but they are now. No biggy! (Wreath wrapped in Dollar Tree garlands. Ribbon on sale from Joann's.)
Gary's contribution to the Holiday Spirit:
From drab.......
.......to beautiful.
Thanks, Gary Dear. You outdid yourself!
We love you!
MERRY CHRISTMAS
Man, did you leave anything behind for other people in the Freebie Closet? But your place does look great. I love the lights on your balcony and your nutcrackers. Natalie says your daughters inherited a love of nutcrackers from you... each of us has a few in our houses. I have about 8 and need more!
ReplyDeleteNice work on decorating your place. Merry Christmas!
Way to be resourceful! The apartment looks great and dressed up nice for Christmas. Keep enjoying the Christmas season!
ReplyDeleteThis place is decorated beautifully! I can see where Laurel gets her great decorating skills from!
ReplyDeleteGotta say...much better than Christmas pineapples. :) Glad to see you're enjoying the challenge of decorating from nothing. You're doing a great job!
ReplyDeleteYou must have upscale Dollar Tree stores back east. I've never seen a nutcracker, but then I'm not haunting the place like you apparently are. Ha! Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteI don't ever recall seeing nutcrackers either! Maybe they will start a little show on how to decorate on a dime as a missionary and air it on BYUtv and get all their tips from you. What a fun post, feel like we can imagine a little more what your Christmas is like.
ReplyDelete