Monday, November 11, 2013

"We Will Miss" Series - Episode #6: My Piano Students

As we began our mission here in the Philippines, it became very obvious from the start that our mission was not our mission, but Elder's mission.  I know very little about computers, spread sheets, or statistics.  I felt lost.  I began praying that I would find something I could contribute to our mission that would be of value.  I was inspired to crochet baby blankets to donate to hospitals to be given to indigent families.


Ethel in Customer Care has been most appreciative of my many blanket and baby clothes donations.  Some relief society sisters have also helped me with this crochet project.  Even though I have enjoyed this activity, it has not been a full-time project.  I needed more. So I kept on praying for inspiration.

Before their missions, all senior missionary couples with a musical background receive a letter from the Music Department encouraging them to teach piano lessons while on their missions....in addition to their primary mission call.  The letter explained the Harman Music Foundation.... how missionaries serving in third-world countries can apply for keyboards and music books to be used when teaching piano lessons.  Students who complete the Keyboard Course can then apply to keep their keyboards.  As I read the letter, I was thinking, "I don't want to teach piano lessons.  I don't like teaching piano lessons. I never have. I never will. You can't make me!"  I set the letter aside and promptly forgot about it.

As you can guess, that letter came to mind as I was praying for a mission cause.  I found the letter.  I reread the letter.  I applied for the grant.  It was a highly emotional moment for me when I read the email that granted me four times the amount of keyboards I had originally been told I could receive. Plus thirty "Easy Hymn Books".

I have been blessed with an attitude change towards teaching piano.  I have loved watching my students progress in their abilities.  I have loved seeing how they willingly accept the challenge of playing for Church functions.  I have burst with pride listening to them play for Church functions.  I have loved them. What an exceptional group of young people and adults.

In the past seventeen months:
  • I have taught over sixty students.
  • Of those sixty students, about twenty-three students have either finished or are close to finishing the Keyboard Course.
  • Of those twenty-three students, all but two have played and continue to play for Church functions.
  • Twelve of those twenty-three students have received a Harman keyboard to keep. (The other students already own a keyboard.)

I have highlighted some of my piano students in previous posts.  Two of my most recent successful students need to be added to my "Piano Students Hall of Fame."

Jun Jun is a thirteen-year-old recent convert.  He lives alone with his father in a small, modest apartment that is part of their family home.  He is only able to spend time with his father on Sundays since his father works in another city the rest of the week.  But two of his aunties and their families live in the other two parts of the home, so he isn't totally alone.  At first Jun Jun declined my offer to loan him a keyboard since there is no electricity in their apartment.  He eventually accepted the loaner keyboard and powers it with batteries.  I am so impressed with this young man.  To think he practices faithfully and comes to lessons regularly without any parental support.  He is so close to being graduated from the Keyboard Course, that he has been granted the keyboard to keep, which has delighted him no end!

Piano lessons at the LPIR after  his Seminary class


Jun Jun playing prelude for a Laoag Ward 5 baptism

Ghianne is Jun Jun's cousin.  She lives in the same family home as Jun Jun does.  She is another success story.  Taking piano lessons very seriously, she practices every evening and attends lessons religiously.   Ghianne teared up when I offered to loan her a keyboard and told her she could keep it when she graduated from the Keyboard Course. 


Ghianne playing prelude at the same Laoag Ward 5 baptism
Saturday night was recital night. Some of my piano students in Bacarra organized it. 







Words cannot describe the feeling I had all evening listening to twenty-two of my students from Laoag, Bacarra, and San Lorenzo perform their hearts out! There was a slide-show presentation and then plenty of food.  Elder made tons of cookies and had homemade ice cream delivered.  A lot of other people brought food, too.

After the recital: A more relaxed group of piano students.
I love them all to pieces!
 
Elder and I were presented with this blanket.  It is hand woven using a traditional Ilocono design.



Three of the mothers of my piano students added to the gift pile:


Cute drinking straw bags and a flower bouquet made of beads.

What a touching way to end my half of a very rewarding mission. My prayers of desiring to complete a meaningful mission have definitely been answered.

2 comments:

  1. Ah - so sweet. Your posts always make me more grateful and appreciative of what we have here. I have electricity, a nice piano, and a sweet friend who is willing to give me lessons. We all need to be grateful for what we have and make the most of everything, for there are always those in the world who do so much more with SO much less. You will definitely be missed there, I can tell.

    ReplyDelete