Wednesday, October 23, 2013

"We Will Miss" Series - Episode #1: The Members

The Philippine people are noted for their many Christ-like characteristics.  Top of the list is the characteristic of generosity.  If you admire it, they will give it.  Even if they have little to give, they will give.  We will miss this great quality.

Knowing this "Admire It, It's Yours" rule, we have been very careful with our compliments. However, about a year ago, I failed.  Sister Rafada was in the middle of making a straw bag.  I thought it was safe to admire it, since it was unfinished.  WRONG! I failed to notice she had some finished bags on a shelf.  When she turned to pick one up, I realized what was happening and took off running.  She followed me and insisted I take the bag.  I have LOVED that bag.  I used it daily for the past year.  So many people admired it.  The selfish Americano that I am, I didn't even think to offer it to any of the many admirers until about a month ago when we transformed into "going-out-of-business-liquidation" mode.

While sitting in relief society about a month ago,  one of the sisters admired my bag, as usual.  I immediately emptied the bag and gave it to her.  It was one of the hardest things I have done! Did I mention how I LOVED that bag?  Not only are the Philippine people great givers, they are gracious receivers.  The sister was thrilled to receive my gift.

Goodbye, Good Old Bag!

A few months ago we were leaving a small branch after one of Elder's member records' meetings.  I thought I had worded my compliment carefully so I wouldn't qualify for a freebee, but WRONG AGAIN!  I said to one of the sisters walking ahead of me: "I love your earrings.  I have a pair almost like them."  She reached in her bag and pulled out a pair of earrings to give me. Awkward!  I tried to solve the problem like I had a year ago with the bag issue: take off running.  But it didn't solve the problem any better the second time than it did the first. She caught up with me as I climbed into the car.  She said she wanted me to have the earrings to remember her by.  I tried to convince her that by taking her picture I could remember her better, but she still wanted to give me the earrings. So I "graciously" accepted her gift.


Earring-giving sister on left
The following story is one we don't want to forget. About six months ago I received a frantic text from Sister Candy, the Piddig Branch music chairman.  Their branch choir had just been asked to sing in stake conference with two weeks' notice.  Since no one in Piddig plays the piano, she asked me if I would accompany their choir. (It's not that I haven't tried to teach people to play the piano in Piddig.  I can think of at least eight members who at various times started taking piano lessons and then quit.)

Due to a communication mix up, Elder and I arrived at their first choir practice one hour late.  The choir members were trying to listen to a cd of the piece they were going to sing.  Meanwhile Sister Candy was writing the lyrics on a blackboard.  The choir members were grumbling and complaining: "We don't know that piece."  "We can't read the blackboard."  Total mutiny.  Sister Candy was beside herself with frustration.  When I showed her some choir music I had brought, she was ecstatic.  She immediately sent Elder and another brother to a copy center to make copies of the music. (Don't judge me. It was free music off the internet, thank you very much!)

Since they only had two weeks to learn the music, they practiced almost on a daily basis. With such short notice, I suggested they sing in unison and not worry about learning parts.  The Philippine people rarely sing parts.  All congregational hymns are sung in unison. So I thought I was doing them a favor to suggest unison singing.  They were very offended by my suggestion.  They wanted to be a professional choir.  They worked and practiced and repeated parts over and over and over.  Whenever they observed a little bit of progress, they crowed and strutted.  It was very heartwarming.

The day before their performance, the choir traveled 40 minutes to the Laoag Stake Center for their final practice.  One of the choir members, Brother Baquing, drives a jeepney for a living, so he transported the choir to Laoag. 

Brother Rizaldo Baquing

Sister Jocelyn Alejandro Baquing
Middle: Sister Precy, Relief Society President



What some people will do to get in a picture.
(I'm referring to the guy looking in the jeepney window.)
I wish I had taken my camera to stake conference to photograph the choir.  They dressed so professionally....and even had matching folders to hold their music.  Not only did they look beautiful, they sang just as beautifully.  We were all so pleased.  And to think this was the first and only time they have been invited to sing in stake conference....ever! 

These are just a few memories Elder and I cherish.  More installments to come.

4 comments:

  1. I will miss reading about all your adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you know how we feel! I can't compliment your things or express a need for something. You've been known to literally give me the shirt off your back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stories. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You gave up one bag, but you got back three more at the piano recital! Being a cheerful giver paid off.

    ReplyDelete