Monday, September 2, 2013

A Joyful Sunday In Bacarra

Michelle Formantes came to the LPIR (Laoag Philippines Institute of Religion) last Thursday where I was giving piano lessons to have an unscheduled lesson. The purpose of her unplanned visit was to have me critique her hymns that she was going to play for sacrament meeting on Sunday. Since last Sunday was one of the rare Sundays Elder hadn't planned a member records' meeting away from Laoag, I made a mental note to attend the Bacarra Ward to hear Michelle play. I didn't want to tell Michelle of my secret plans and add to her stress.  In a previous blog, I think I mentioned how hesitant Michelle has been to play for sacrament meeting.  She was one of my first students to play well enough for sacrament meeting, but has been one of my last students to actually play.  Once she saw how the other Bacarra students learned to play and then bravely played in sacrament meeting, she decided to take courage and join the ranks. Sunday was one of her few times to play, so I wanted to support her in her good cause.



After Relief Society and Sunday School were over, Michelle finally showed up to Church in time for sacrament meeting.  I was beginning to worry that she was going to be a "no show", but she came. She performed beautifully, in spite of her nervousness.  I couldn't have been more proud.  It is a rewarding moment to see a student play so well for Church functions. And then to look around the congregation and see so many of my young students who are now playing for sacrament meeting....it was very heart warming.

After the sacrament had been passed, Elder leaned over and asked me if I was planning on bearing my testimony.  The thought hadn't even entered my mind.  I whispered back, "Of course not. I would be too nervous."  But then as I looked at cute Michelle sitting on the stand, I thought, "My goodness!  All these months I have been trying to convince Michelle that being nervous is no excuse for not acting...I have to practice what I preach." About that time the Spirit started working on me to the point of heart pounding, so I knew I had no choice.  It was good to be able to express my feelings of joy for finding a way to serve in the Philippines. 

And then it happened.  Joshua bore his testimony.  What an awesome young man! I had even whispered that sentiment to Elder during the sacrament as I watched Joshua sitting at the sacrament table.

Joshua is a real success story.  After having finished teaching piano lessons one Saturday morning I was sitting in the foyer of the Bacarra meetinghouse waiting for Elder to pick me up. It was then that I heard someone in the sacrament hall struggling to play a hymn.  When I could endure the sour notes no longer, I returned to the sacrament hall see if I could be of musical assistance. There I met Joshua for the first time.  He was trying to practice one of the simplified hymns I had given his sister for one of her piano lessons. For some strange reason, he strongly resisted my offer to give him piano lessons.  He kept telling me Jessa could teach him.  But I just ignored his protests and gave him a lesson anyway. He half-heartedly committed to continue coming to lessons each Saturday. I remember thinking,  "That's the last I'll ever see of that young man." He didn't show up the next Saturday, so I figured my evaluation of him was correct.  However, to my shock and surprise, he was practicing the piano while he waited for me to arrive for lessons the next Saturday.  Almost every Saturday since that day, he has been one of the first students to arrive for lessons, always practicing the piano while waiting for me.  He immediately earned the title of "My Star Student."  Joshua absorbs music like a sponge.  He learns so quickly and practices constantly.  One week he informed me he had a surprise for me.  He opened the regular hymnal and played "We Thank Thee, Oh God, For A Prophet".  My jaw dropped and I choked up as I listened to him play.  In the first place, he had practiced the hymn in addition to practicing his regular piano assignment.  In the second place, NONE of my students are advanced enough to be playing from the regular hymnal.  But Joshua did it!  He is absolutely amazing! His fingers literally fly over the keyboard.


Josua playing prelude for a baptism

Joshua is now taking his turn playing for sacrament meetings.  He clucks how the other students aren't learning new hymns.  He reports that they continue to play the same old same old.  He, on the other hand, learns new hymns that aren't part of his piano assignments to add variety to the sacrament meeting music.  (Does it sound like he knows he is Teacher's Pet?)

Anyway, back to Joshua's testimony.  He voiced appreciation to me for teaching him to play the piano.  I teared up when he expressed how he loves playing the hymns...how he really feels the Spirit when he plays.  To quote Joshua, "It feels like I am dancing with the Spirit when I play the hymns."  Even now as I write this, I am getting emotional. Again, what an awesome young man. I hope and pray he continues to work towards his goal of going on a mission.

At the first of our mission, I prayed that I would find a meaningful way to serve in the Philippines.  It became very apparent early on that member records was Elder's mission call, not mine. It was, and is, a continued source of joy for me to see so many of my students developing their talents.  They are truly blessing the lives of the members by sharing their musical talents. I am very grateful for an answer to my prayers...and to the Harman Foundation for being an avenue for everyone's success.

3 comments:

  1. YAY! You're back among the blog living.

    These piano students are really going to miss you when you're gone. You've done such amazing work with your 35 students. This will surely be what you remember when you look back on your 18 months on your mission. So many people have and will benefit from your service. Very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like this particular Sunday was your "payday".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't taken the time for the last several months to read your blog, so now I'm all caught up! Love love reading about your experiences and seeing the happy faces of your piano students and the members of the church there. What a difference you are making in their lives! We think of you often and hope you're both doing well. I read that there has been a lot of rain and flooding in some areas--did it affect you? Laurel brought us some of your yummy peaches. Miss you guys. Love, the Kobers

    ReplyDelete