Saturday, April 13, 2013

Busy Friday

It seemed like Saturday because of our tight schedule, but it was only Friday.  We left the apartment at 6:15am and traveled north for three hours. We had been asked to speak at a district youth conference in Sanchez-Mira.  To travel that many hours for a guest-speaking assignment means either we are really famous for our great talks, or the district president was scrounging for guest speakers. We'll go with the "we-have-a-reputation-for-giving-great-talks" theory! :)

The farther north we traveled, the harder it rained. Not good weather for a two-day youth conference held at a beach-front resort.

One of the many beautiful vistas on the way to Sanchez-Mira.... before it started to rain.

 But when we arrived the youth were indoors in the middle of a testimony meeting, so the rain wasn't affecting their schedule.  What a good-looking, wholesome group of youth.  The young women were all in their Sunday clothes and the young men were wearing white shirts and ties.  We slipped into the back and tried to listen to their testimonies.  But of course they were speaking in either Tagalog or Ilocano, don't ask me which.  Even though we couldn't understand their message, their deep conviction of the Church was strongly felt. As we listened to their testimonies, I kept thinking how my talk-to-be was going to be a "preaching to the choir" event.  I even used that term in the introductory comments of my talk.  No one had ever heard that phrase, so explanations were in order. I wasn't getting too nervous about my speaking assignment as I observed that the youth group wasn't overly large.  But then I started to sweat when after their testimony meeting, another group joined them.  It was a LARGE group of awesome youth!

Elder and I were asked to speak on preparing for missions.  I spoke on putting on the whole armor of God to protect from Satan's temptations while preparing for a mission.  Elder was my Vanna White.  He added each piece of the armor as I talked about it.


My little Filipino stripling warrior

Elder did a power point presentation on the iron rod.  A few months ago he had commissioned a less-active returned missionary to paint a series of pictures of Lehi's dream.  His motive was to inspire the young man to become active in the Church again.  Francis DeLa Cruz is a very talented young artist as you will see from the following "with-a-Filipino-flare"paintings.   He is the same artist who painted the Manila Temple picture for us. We give copies of his temple painting as gifts.

Missionaries inviting others to pass through the gate of baptism and grasp the iron rod.


Never mind the scoffing people, the filthy river, or the mist of darkness.  Just hang on!

The temple is a bright vista along the path, and offers help in holding tightly to the iron rod.


The path isn't always easy, but as long as we "hold to the rod", we will make it safely through.
We can also help others along the way, as long as we keep hold of the rod ourselves.
 
Serving others, scripture study, and attending Church are a few ways that help us endure to the end.

After working so hard to make it to the Tree of Life, some will value the fruit (the love of God), and some will reject it.

 
After the devotional, Elder talked with the District President about member records.


While waiting I took the ocean picture below. It is the view when looking out the window behind Elder. Sitting in the blue plastic chair during the devotional, I thoroughly enjoyed this ocean view. (What else is there to do when one can't understand Tagalog or Ulocano? And, no, Elder wasn't the one talking in a foreign language. He's not THAT dedicated to the cause!)


I can't believe how quickly the place emptied out as everyone scampered to lunch.

This gives a good idea of how many youth were in attendance.  Every chair was filled...including the round tables at the back of the room. I really wanted to take a picture during the devotional, but I stifled the urge. :)

In line for lunch.
Lunch went quickly as everyone was anxious to jump in the pool. (By now it had stopped raining. Wahoo!)


I think I would have high-tailed it to the beach instead of the pool. 
But maybe there were sharks lurking out in the ocean, who knows!


This little group of cuties helped us to the car with our stuff.
Goodbye, adorable people! What a fun youth conference. Where was youth conference back in the late '50's and early '60's? Elder and I feel gyped!

But the day wasn't over yet.  The remainder of Friday's adventures to be continued in our next post.

6 comments:

  1. Will the Filipino warrior make an appearance at a family get-together when you get home? He's cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, my suitcase isn't large enough...but come to think of it, he does come apart. Maybe he will immigrate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, we are jealous. We want you to speak at our youth conference for Kari, Kurt, Joel and Rex. After reading this post Kari said she is excited to read about the rest of the adventure. Keep the posts coming. Thank you for taking the time to type them up, upload pictures and share the adventure with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just want to let you know I read your blog and love reading about all your missionary adventures. Thanks so much for sharing!

    Diana Dellastatious

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just want to let you know I read your blog and love reading about all your missionary adventures. Thanks so much for sharing!

    Diana Dellastatious

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Tree of Life PowerPoint. I'll bet that was a great part of the presentation. And Mom, your artistic skills have always come in handy... for projects in school, posters, knobby-kneed wooden water carnival games, and now for warriors in the Philippines. I love it!

    ReplyDelete