Sunday, March 17, 2013

Jonats' Restoration Lesson

I hope it won't get too boring to always hear about Jonats' lessons, but I really want to record Jonats' progress.  I stifled the impulse to take his picture last week.  I'm so proud of myself!

We met at Jonats' apartment for this week's lesson. As we walked in the front door, we came face-to-face with a large Catholic statue.  My first thought was, "Oh, no! Someday we are going to have to tell Jonats that his statue of Mary has to go! How are we going to break the news to him?" Whew! The apartment is more like a boarding house for about twenty students.  No problem. Mary can stay!

 Jonats offered to say the opening prayer, so he "could get practice in praying." He wondered if we crossed ourselves when we prayed.  Sister Diamond answered that question very nicely. Jonats' prayer was great, as usual.  The sisters asked if he had any questions or feelings about his Book of Mormon reading assignment.  He said as he opened his Book of Mormon  to read for the first time, the bookmark he had placed inside the book touched his heart.  It outlines the characteristics of the pure love of Christ. He jokingly (?) stated that he is going to make a huge poster using the bookmark information.  The bookmark opened the door to more such warm feelings as he then started to read the Book of Mormon.  I created the bookmark from an article written by Marvin  J. Ashton ("The Tongue Can Be A Sharp Sword" May 1992 Ensign) and pass them out to anyone and everyone.  It's a great message. 



We had given him the bookmark during last week's lesson when he said he felt that being in contact with the Church would help him with a problem he was having with his boss at work.  It felt good to explain to Jonats that the bookmark message that had helped him was taken from a talk given by an apostle. So this message was directly from Heavenly Father through one of his apostles.

The sisters explained about the ancient Church, which included prophets and revelation and then the apostacy.  Jonats asked the question of why the last apostle couldn't have passed the Church on to others before he died.  Elder answered that questions beautifully.  Before the lesson, the sisters had invited us to give the part of the lesson on the restoration and the bringing back of the Book of Mormon. It was like old missionary times! I thoroughly enjoyed telling the first vision account.  As I related the incident, the Spirit reconfirmed to me again that what I was telling Jonats is true. Elder explained how Joseph Smith received and translated the Book of Mormon. He then answered another of Jonats' questions as to why the Book of Mormon was a shorter book than the Bible. Elder invited Jonats to pray about the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. We explained the many ways we can feel the Spirit testifying to us.

The sisters invited Jonats to Church next Sunday and set up another teaching appointment for next week. Jonats asked for another reading assignment and then gave the closing prayer.  

As we were getting into the car to leave, one of the neighbors approached. The gentleman said he wants the missionaries to visit him.  So the sisters set up a teaching time.  Awesome moment for the sisters! Another neighbor joined in on the conversation. He mentioned he is a member of the Church and wants to come back to the Church some day. 

Sorry there are so few pictures, but with or without pictures, it couldn't have been a more golden evening!

Picture courtesy of Google Image search. I can't take the credit.

2 comments:

  1. What a great young man Jonats must be. Sounds like such a wonderful missionary moment. You guys are blessing so many out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great! I'm sure his excitement in the Gospel has increased your own. I'm always amazed with converts. Joining this church cannot be an easy thing, and the Spirit is the only way to know the truthfulness of the restoration of the Gospel and modern-day prophets. These concepts seem like they would be impossible to "know" without the Spirit. What a great post. :)

    ReplyDelete