The Christmas season brought some fun times. A week ago we attended a two-day Christmas zone conference. The first day started out with a service project for one of the local hospitals. We painted.......(to the music of the happy whistler)
and painted.......
A few hours later and all cleaned up, we met at the mission home and went caroling. Our group caroled a family who had lost their home to fire. They rebuilt, but not very well, since they are very poor. We left them a bag of groceries and some candy.
Back to the mission home for an outdoor evening program.
| Christmas decor on the mission home/office grounds |
After the program we enjoyed a Filipino buffet on the mission home lawn. The evening was warm with a gentle breeze. Lit palm trees surrounding the grounds. It couldn't have been more tropical.
There was other food offered besides roast pig. I chose to pass on the pig. Too graphic.
I was rather fascinated with the way the pig was carved and served all at the same time...until just the pig's head remained. The carver turned the pig's head snout upward, gave one whack and cut the head in half. Rather gruesome and violent, if you ask me!
| Elder and Sister Demars |
Below is the Polynesian Foursome. Left: Elder Ione from Samoa. He has been accepted to play football for the University of New Mexico when he returns from his mission in January. Second to right: Elder Sione a Tongan from New Zealand. Right: Elder Felila a Tongan from Utah. He and Elder Sione are cousins. They didn't know they would be in the same mission until they bumped into each other here.
The next morning we attended a Christmas devotional at the stake center. After the conference, just being conversational, I asked one of the elders what their plans were for Christmas. He turned all sad and said they had no plans. Feeling sorry for two homeless elders, I invited them to Christmas dinner at our apartment. I asked if he knew of any other missionaries who might need a place to go on Christmas. I had no idea there would be such a response! We immediately started planning for a twenty-four missionary Christmas dinner.
| Homeless, but not-so-sad elders |
| Cute sister missionaries: Sister Reyes, Woahn, Patricio, and Jarmillo |
| Elders Ione, Knowles and Caacbay |
| Elders Felila and Sorriano LOVED the pie |
Christmas caroling is huge here. It reminded us of trick-or-treating in the states. A few days before Christmas, there were roving bands of carolers on the streets every evening. We had a caroling band in our neighborhood the day before Christmas. Pretty fun! They stopped next door, so I was able to get this great video! They really wanted money, but Elder Eddington gave them cookies instead.
Just some miscellaneous pictures of our Filipino Christmas decor.
| Christmas parol made of drinking straws |
| Umbrella-stand-turned Christmas tree |
| One of four parol made by a piano student |
"The Alien"... added just for Laurel's enjoyment!
| Personally, I call it "Pineapple Man" (with holly for hands and feet) |
| More parol |
| Pineapple Man, alias The Alien, and friends |
We were homesick for family during the holidays, but keeping busy was good therapy.
Love, Mom and Dad
Mom, you still make the same sounds when you're about to fall down as you did at home. That's one thing that remains the same... even though you're in the Parental Parallel Universe right now.
ReplyDeleteYou were smart to pass on the pig. How absolutely horrific! I'd hate to see them do that treatment to a cow!
What did you two serve for dinner when you hosted 24 missionaries? I didn't see a crispy pig in the center of your table.
I paused my Mormon Channel Christmas songs for *that* street band? Back to the Mo Tabs...
Merry Christmas to you two! We surely missed you both!
No pig.... that's for New Year's Eve. We served the Campbell soup's chicken and rice bake casserole, thinking rice would make the Filipino missionaries happy...only to be informed by Elder Caacbay that hes tired of rice! Can't win!
ReplyDeleteLove, Mom
P.S. You would have made noises too if you were about to fall! It was a LOOOONG way down. At the bottom there was a canal full of stagnant, stinky water.
Sorry... editor's correction: "that HE'S tired of rice!"
ReplyDeleteLove, Mom
Now THAT'S a Christmas I can handle. I hate snow. I loved the red/green Christmas in North Carolina. Red dirt, green trees. Didn't miss snow a bit. Merry Christmas (belated) to you guys!
ReplyDeleteOne more thing.... Elder Caacbay mentioned he was tired of rice the day before we served our rice and chicken meal. It was too late to change the menu at that point.
ReplyDeleteLove, Mom
Okay, when you say "carolers" I hadn't expected a live band - how interesting.
ReplyDeleteI can only imagine how much food you had to prepare for all those big, strapping Elders. I'm sure they are a lot of fun.
Hey, you can't add new pictures after I've already checked your post. But I like the handcrafted poinsettias (I never could spell that word). Those are some fancy decorations. But I'm still partial to "The Alien."
ReplyDeleteI guess I'll have to add my picture of "The Alien". I was too lazy to download it off our camera.
DeleteLove, Mom