The bad news was: the power went out at about 7am while we were working on the computer, finalizing our talks.
The good news was: Because we had skipped our exercise hour, I had already showered and my hair was "fixed". When the power goes out, we lose water pressure since our water is pumped into our apartment.
The bad news was: I had no way of printing my talk. But I didn't worry too much. In the past, the power has usually been out for only twenty minutes or so. But wait, the last time the power went out, it stayed out for fourteen long, air-conditionerless hours.
The good news was: As the hours ticked by without any electricity, I finally decided to cancel all my piano lessons for the day. The stake center didn't have power either. So now I had more time to work on my talk; hoping my computer battery would last long enough for me to finish my task.
The bad news was: The power still wasn't on when we left for Batac. So we took my lap top with us to see if we could find a place that had electricty to print off my talk. Worse case scenario, I would have to give my talk using the lap top.
The good news was: We found a place to print my talk! The mission office is closed on Saturdays, but it was our luck that some of the mission elders were in their apartment above the mission office doing their weekly planning. AND they had power. So Elder Knowles (a nephew of the Farmington Knowles) opened up the mission office and we printed.
The bad news was: We had a hard time finding the ball venue. We assumed the dance was to be held in a local meetinghouse, but we have learned not to ever assume anything. Elder texted early Saturday morning and we were informed that the ball was to be held at the Marcos University in Batac. Good to know!
The good news was: Since our print-my-talk problem was so easily solved, we had plenty of time to find the Batac Marcos University.
From then on, the day continued to be full of good news. The ball was a kick-off activity to help motivate unendowed couples prepare to go to the temple for a stake temple trip in May. Therefore, Elder and I were asked to speak on developing a good marital relationship. We both shared the podium and took turns giving parts of the talk. It was quite enjoyable....even though I had envisioned speaking in a chapel and then dismissing to a cultural hall for the dance.
As you will see from the pictures, Filipino members really know how to party! It was a very fun evening.
| A live, and lively, band. |
| Stake President Galapia and wife |
| Husband and wife MCs. |
There's a good-looking young man in every crowd. Angelo Rafol is a returned missionary who teaches the San Lorenzo seminary while I give piano lessons. After the seminary class is over, I teach piano lessons to some of the seminary students, including Brother Rafol. He is a real catch! The San Lorenzo young ladies sitting with me at our table were watching him all night, saying, "Look at that lucky girl dancing with Angelo." And there were A LOT of lucky girls! Is Angelo considered a play boy? Or is he just making a lot of girls' days?
| Angelo's grandmother and his father. Brother Rafol is the ex-stake president of the Batac Stake. |
But most of them would stop dancing when they saw me approaching with my camera.
| "Sweat rags" are commonly seen tucked in the back of kids' clothes. |
After a while, things got pretty wild!
| How did this picture get here? Well, I guess this is "wild" by missionary standards. |
Can you believe it? The brother in the white suit is a current bishop.
At the end of the evening, serious awards were given for "most poised", "best ball gown", "best dressed men", "king of the ball", and "queen of the ball".
Hey, wait! Isn't that your dad and me in the picture below? How did that happen? And where is OUR award?
The evening still wasn't over. While the crowd lined up in long lines to dish up their food, your dad and I, as well as a few other "dignitaries", were instructed to stay at our table and be served there. We felt like royalty. There were so many different kinds of foods, there was hardly room for everyone's plates. Sorry, no pictures!
We arrived back at our apartment at 10pm.....and exhausted. It was such a fun evening.
Oh *no* [insert eye roll]. Poor Angelo Rafol. He's trying to be all John-Travolta-Suave, and some missionary keeps sticking a camera in his face and making his dates pose. I guess this is how Uncle Paul felt when he invited Karen to dinner and I piped up (at age 11) and asked, "Are you going to marry her?" Unsuave. Very unsuave.
ReplyDeleteDating around the relatives is a dangerous thing. (But you're right... he is pretty cute!)
If he had stuck to dancing with just one girl (the right one) I wouldn't have kept taking his picture! I was intrigued to see how many girls he danced with all night. At least I didn't make comments as I kept "sticking my camera in his face".
DeleteLove, Mom
I hope the picture of you and Dad dancing was taken by Angelo Rafol. Pay back. ;)
ReplyDeleteNope! Sorry!
DeleteLove, Mom
That sounds like a great event - good message, great speakers, fellowshipping, fun & hopefully more couples getting to the temple.
ReplyDeleteGood thing you skipped your exercising or you would have been showering at the elders apartment as well as panicking about your talk. Sounds like everything ended up working out great.
Thanks for sharing your adventures.
That looks like a fun evening.
ReplyDeleteSome of those dresses really ARE "fancy". What a great day you had.
ReplyDeleteMOM! DAD! Where are you? Your last post was December 2, and today is December 19 (for you). Really? You've made us wait 17 days for news from you? You'd better be trapped under a large rock, because otherwise you've got some splainin' to do.
ReplyDeleteOnly a little worried over here... drop a small bone this way.