About a month ago, a member's home in Vigan had a devastating fire. It completely destroyed the second floor.
After a month of fund raising, the rebuilding project began. Twice last week we tackled a two-hour drive to Vigan so your dad could help with the rebuilding project.
| Progress on the burnt-home project |
| Two master carpenters (We hope!) |
So, once again, Sister Demars and I were left with nothing to do, but......GO SHOPPING! Wahoo! I must admit, the second trip to Vigan was my idea. I hadn't had my fill of shopping. But help was still needed on the house project, so Elder Eddington agreed to take the trip. He is willing to do anything to help me get my shopping fix without his having to participate. Elder Demars feels the same way about shopping as your dad, so Sister Demars was having shopping-withdrawal symptoms, too. Sister Demars calls me her best shopping buddy in the mission. That's because I'm her only shopping buddy in the mission. I feel the same way about her.
| Before my first and only calesa ride. Sorona looks all fresh and ready. |
| After the ride: poor little Sorona looks worn out. |
| Sorona was all sweaty and puffing. She is definitely not used to hauling around large Americans. |
Vigan is a tourist city. The shops on Heritage Street are all preserved from the past....having a definite Spanish flair. The inside of the shops are all paved with Spanish tiles. Really cute. Calesas are the only form of transportation allowed on Heritage Street.
| Sister Demars said, "Only one second to rest, Sister Eddington. Move it, move it, move it!" |
While waiting for Sister Demars to look at some items for sale on an outside table, a poor little dirty and hungry kitty kept meowing at me.
| Poor little Kitty Meow-Meow |
I couldn't stand hearing her pathetic pleas for help, so I went to a nearby bakery and bought her some pork rolls. When I approached her with the food, she was afraid of me, and retreated back into her pipe home. I placed the rolls inside the pipe and left. Checking back later, she was eating. Poor little thing. Maybe she finds enough food in the garbage container by her pipe home.
| "Salamat for feeding me, Sister Eddington." |
We visited a pottery shop in another part of the city. They dig the clay for their pots right out of the ground where they throw the pots. Foot power is what is being used to spin the platform under the pot....no electricity used in this project. This pot was formed in less than five minutes.
Two guilt-free shopping days spent in Vigan! How fun! Any more burnt-home projects for Elder Eddington? Please?
Love, Elder and Sister Eddington


I love the one with you and the horse. The pottery is also very cool. :)
ReplyDeleteSo, what exactly do you go shopping FOR? What a quaint little town.
ReplyDeleteMaybe I should bring over hundreds of pounds of cat food. I don't like that Kitty Meow-Meow lives in a pipe. He needs a bed.
ReplyDeleteI see now where Jeff gets his soft spot for animals. Joel was sure the missionary in the picture helping Grandpa was Scott--I suppose he's not far off considering they both would like to be in the same place helping each other with their DIY projects.
ReplyDeleteTraci
What a fun little city! Can I come be your shopping buddy too?! Oh and P.S. I love your skirt, Mom!
ReplyDeleteSure! Come any time. We havae 2 bedrooms, you know. As to the skirt...thanks! I bought it at the Layton J.C.Penney, in case you want one, too.
DeleteLove, Mom