We are also traveling around so Elder Eddington can give mini-classes in district meetings. He is educating the missionaries as to the different types of member record reports that can be generated. These various member record reports will help the missionary cause. My job is to be Elder Eddington's travel companion and executive secretary. Hard job, but someone has to do it!
Here are a few of the interesting sights we saw coming back from our half-hour trip to Paoay. Actually, this first picture was taken on a previous trip, but I had to include it. It is SO gorgeous!
| Calendar perfect! |
After the grains are dry, they are scooped into large bags. This is a community affair: women, men, chickens, dogs, and children help. The drying process seems very unsanitary, but the rice is still in its husks.
| Grain being scooped into bags |
| Bags being put into trucks |
| More bags being loaded onto a truck. |
But I did capture this picture that can go under the category of: "Strange Things We Find In The Streets".
| What a bad mother to let her babies play in the street! OK, so they aren't playing. So adorable! |
This next series of pictures is priceless! Absolutely priceless. I tried taking a picture from my open window as we passed. This is all I managed to capture:
| A hard-working carabao (a subspecies of the water buffalo) |
So we pulled over to get a better shot. I tried taking the picture from a distance so the gentleman wouldn't see me, but this is all I got:
Still an inferior shot. At this point the old fellow saw what was going on and stopped to pose for the next pictures.
He was so gracious to let me have this photo op! Your dad gave me p10 to give to him for being so cooperative. He was very confused when I offered him the money, but put out his hard-working, calloused hand and smiled an almost toothless grin. What a wonderful moment! "National Geographic", eat your heart out!
By the way, I have picked up a service project. Your dad has his Member Records Cause, which I help him with when I can. But sometimes your dad is working on computer projects that I can't help with, therefore I have nothing to do. I read the scriptures as much as I can during these down moments, but I can only read so much in one sitting. So yesterday before we got back to our apartment we stopped at a hospital to offer my services. It's a new hospital, therefore they are very appreciative to accept any charitable assistance. So I bought some flannel, crochet thread, and a crochet hook. I'm on my way to making baby blankets to be given to poorer families when they leave the hospital with their newborns. I questioned whether blankets are needed in a tropical climate, but the hospital staff we talked with assured me they are used.....as well as hats, mittens, and booties. Prickly heat waiting to happen, as far as I'm concerned.
Love, Elder and Sister Eddington
I would love to see a post entitled "Strange Things We Find in the Streets." It sounds like you and Dad have found your niche - him on the computer and you crocheting. What a perfect fit. I can just see the two of you working away on your projects. Oh, and I'm going to think twice about the rice we eat. But, I guess it gets boiled, so we're probably good, right? I think we'd be quite surprised to see how most of our food is harvested and prepared for stores. Maybe "ignorance is bliss" in this case.
ReplyDeleteIn the south they have a dish called dirty rice-maybe that is where the name comes from. And yes I have been reading your blog all along. I am looking forward to the day when Brian and I can serve a mission.
ReplyDeleteWill not be eating rice from the Philippines. Oh my! And this is why I can't serve a mission. I have no talents to offer. I guess I could go hold the little babies. :)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteCome on, people, don't you read carefully? "The drying process is very unsanitary, but the rice is still in its husks.
DeleteNatalie, sorry to say, missionaries of all ages and genders are not allowed to hold babies, put kids on their laps, tickle, or even volunteer in daycare centers or schools. So you'd better find another talent....quickly!
Love, Mom
P.S. I previously deleted this same comment because I had a few grammatical errors and didn't know how to edit.