Tuesday, September 4, 2012

I Did It!

Since Elder Eddington and I have been walking around the Marcos Stadium exercise track, I have gotten brave and upped the exercise to a jog.  Elder Eddington still walks, but briskly. My jogging speed is a tad faster than his walking speed. But my goal has been to lap Elder Eddington.  It has been a total pipe dream until today!  I did it!  (Actually, it parallels with the 2nd-place victory in the 5k Orem Firemen's Race I "ran" with Jeff and Natalie.  It sounded good that I came in second!  Wahoo!  Minor details: 1) There were only three entries in my class of old foggies.  2) One of the entrants dropped out.  End result: Second Place!  Hey, they gave me a medal, so my win was legit'.)



Anyway, back to the details of lapping Elder Eddington.  A very friendly 78-year-old gentleman joined us while we were walking.  I soon got antsy, so I started jogging, leaving Elder Eddington and new-found friend in my dust. This time things were different.  Elder Eddington had slowed his pace to match the 78-year-old's pace, which opened wide the "Door Of Opportunity".  It took about four times around the track, but I lapped them.   I was so proud!


Me, enjoying my short-lived victory!
 
On the way home from the stadium, Elder Eddington filled me in on the conversation he and the older gentleman had had.  People at the track called this older man, "Father".  He was an ex-Catholic priest who had resigned years ago and gotten married.  The gentleman asked a few questions about the structure of the Church.  He was also interested to learn that none of the positions in the Church are paid positions....including the fact that missionaries pay their own way. The comment by another walker who had meanwhile joined them was, "Well, we all worship the same God, right?"  Elder Eddington's response was, "Well, kind of" ....which led into a mini-lesson on the Godhead.

So even though I lapped Elder Eddington this morning on the Marcos Stadium Exercise Track in Laoag, Elder Eddington lapped me on the Eternal Heavenly Stadium Exercise Track in the Sky. Way to go, Elder Eddington!

Love, Sister Eddington

7 comments:

  1. You're looking kinda gaunt, Mom. Better start jogging backwards around that track and put some of those calories back ON!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Gaunt" by Filipino standards is obese! I bought a blouse the other day....size XL....and it fits a little tight! I'm an elephant compared to these petite little wispy Filipinos.

      Love, Mom

      Delete
  2. You guys are so cute. I love reading about your adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why run when you can walk?

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know Dad - he's always enjoyed the "scenery". He goes the same speed, no matter where he is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say great job Sister Eddington and Brother Eddington! :)

    ReplyDelete