We are on a roll! The Marcello family will now be the recipient of a cement-floored home. Not only will they have a cement floor, but they will have walls that actually go to the ceiling. No more umbrella stuffed in part of the gap in an attempt to keep water from pouring on their beds when it rains. The plastic poster doesn't do a much better job than the umbrella. (See pictures).
This time the members of the Bontay Ward are the great workers helping improve the living conditions. Of course it has been raining all week during the work project. But today has been a great day for working: overcast, breezy, and with no rain......but it's Sunday. (Just to clarify, no one worked today.)
By the way, the first picture shows our car. Yes, we're driving foreign. Hard to swallow!
 |
| Elders Eddington, Felila, and Smith mixing cement |
 |
| .....and mixing |
 |
| .......and mixing |
 |
| ......and mixing. |
 |
| Brother Mercello working on the new addition. The 1/2-wall behind him will come out. |
 |
| Notice the umbrella and plastic poster that are attempts at keeping their home dry. |
So, when you said they mixed the cement "on" the street, I guess I assumed there was at least a bucket involved, but you meant literally ON the street. Amazing. What a lot of hard work and what appears to be some very grateful recipients. Amazing.
ReplyDeleteIs Dad fit to be undone with the Philippino construction standards? Can I send you a cement bucket? Some new nails? A post WWII shovel?
ReplyDeleteYou two are amazing to be offering this much-needed help.
Well, it's really "you one" who is amazing. I just sat in the street on a lawn chair holding an umbrella. The other project (the Hore home in the rice field) all I did was take pictures and stand around talking to the sisters. Oh, and almost fall off the 2-log bridge on the way back to the car. I got in the middle of the bridge and kept telling myself, "I'm going to fall, I'm going to fall!" As a man thinketh, so is he!
DeleteLove, Mom
Wow. What an exciting time for that family. We are so spoiled here in the USA. I hope that you don't me following you on your mission. I am Stephanie's friend!
ReplyDeleteNot one bit! We're honored that you are interested in our comings and goings.
ReplyDelete