We have been trying SO HARD not to be upset whenever we go into a home with a dirt floor. I had convinced myself that dirt floors are life as usual.....but, good news, they're NOT!
We visited a sweet family on Saturday. It was raining and blowing like crazy. The path to their home was a raised dirt bank with watery rice fields on both sides. And then there was the "bridge"across an irrigation water way. Yikes! Apparently we misplaced the memo that said it was necessary to take wet balance beam lessons in a gymnastics class to qualify for the work. A bridge made of three logs across would have suited me just fine. But I guess it was one log for each foot, right? Entering their home, I wasn't a bit surprised to see they had a dirt floor. The only sitting space was on a bamboo-slatted bed. So there we all sat: wife, 2 little girls, a baby, and we 4 missionaries. It's a good thing the husband didn't come home until the end of our visit. But I guess there would have been room for one more. The rain and wind continued to escalate. We didn't know if we would get back to the car without having to swim or not. But on to the GOOD NEWS! The ward this cute family lives in will be building them a new home! It is so humbling to learn that all the building materials will be donated by ward members. What a sacrifice. There will be a ward work party this Saturday. You can count on Elder Eddington and myself being there to help. I'm going to be the one to build a new bridge..... and pour the cement floor. No, maybe I'll install a ceramic tile floor. Kidding. I'll post pictures of the project next week.
Love, Sister Eddington
A construction project! How perfect. They'll be glad they have Elder Eddington on the job. Dad will be in his element, for sure. What a great service... I can't think of a better way for Dad to use his talent.
ReplyDeleteFrom Taylor: I miss you, Grandma and I love you. I'm glad you didn't slip on the dirt.
ReplyDeleteIt's like Extreme Makeover: Philipines Edition. Do we get to see "before" and "afters"? Although, their version of "construction" might just be to gather what materials you can find, especially if it's all donated. Sounds like it will be an eclectic house. Interested to hear how it goes.
ReplyDeleteYou are right, Steph. I wish I had brought my camera to download the pictures I took this morning. Right now I am waiting for piano students to come to the stake center. I think I have been stood up. I did give one lesson earlier, so I guess that's considered successful.
DeleteLove, Mom